Wedding Dresses in Johannesburg
8 Dos and Don’ts for Wedding Dress Shopping
There are just about as many wedding dresses to choose from as there are trees in Johannesburg! It’s easy to get swept up in the excitement (and angst) of shopping for wedding dresses, but there are ways in which to keep your head.
Here are 8 simple dos and don’ts:
- DO have an idea of the type of styles and silhouettes you like. You can narrow this down by looking through magazines and searching the internet, and then compiling a little wish list with the images of those you like the most. It’s likely they will all have something in common, which is what has drawn you to them.
- DON’T set your heart on a style that you saw on someone else, especially a celebrity. Everyone is unique, so what looks good on someone else may not work for your body shape or personality. Let your own personal style be your guide to finding the right style.
- DO know the theme of your wedding before you start shopping. Is it a glitzy, glamorous Johannesburg wedding, a sublime beach setting, or a classic vintage affair? Keeping your theme in mind while shopping for wedding dresses will help you choose the right style and silhouette for the occasion.
- DON’T rush into choosing a bridal shop. There are many shops that sell wedding dresses in Johannesburg, but not all of these are certified stockists or full-service bridal shops. The last thing you want is a bad experience. With the variety available in Johannesburg, it is very important to have peace of mind that you have chosen the right bridal shop. Word of mouth plays a big role, so speak to friends and family, and look at reviews online.
- DO take the right underwear with to your consultation. While it may not be exactly what you’ll be wearing on your wedding day, it’s very important to do fittings with the right under garments.
- DON’T be late for your first consultation. You only have a certain amount of time with the consultant, so if you’re late for your appointment, you can’t expect them to run into the next bride’s appointment time. The location of the bridal shop is important in managing this. If you live in Johannesburg, you know that traffic is a big challenge. Choose a bridal shop that is not too far from home and work, in order to make it less stressful to get to your appointments on time.
- DO send the excited bridesmaids to a coffee shop up the street while you and your mom go to your first consultation. You’ll be nervous as it is, so don’t overwhelm yourself with too large an entourage. It can be quite disheartening and even lead to arguments when there are too many people voicing their opinions on which dress suits you the best. Only bring a few people whose opinions you value.
- DON’T be shy to be upfront with your consultant. If the consultant suggests some styles of wedding dresses that you don’t like, say so. Being honest will help the consultant find the perfect dress for you.
Timeless Bridal Couture is a full-service bridal boutique with a large Johannesburg client base, and we stock a wide variety of exclusive designer wedding dresses. We’d love to help you find your dream dress.